Book: Great Peacemakers: True Stories From Around The World
$22.00 $17.00 On Sale!
This book also has a supplemental Study Guide in a loose-leaf 3-ring binder available for purchase separately.
ENDORSEMENTS & EXCERPTS FROM REVIEWS:
• "I feel so very blessed to have read Great Peacemakers. Yes, blessed indeed."
president and founder, World Centers of Compassion for Children International and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
• "I should like to congratulate the authors of Great Peacemakers on the contribution that they have made to our understanding of the authors and mechanics of peacemaking. Always at the centre of any peace process there are individuals who refuse to countenance the initiation or continuation of violence. They inspire those involved in, or contemplating, conflict that there are other—far better—ways of resolving disputes and they help to lead them toward peaceful solutions. Great Peacemakers provides us with new insights into the nature of these special people."
—F.W. de Klerk
former president of South Africa and recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
• "Not all of these peacemakers speak explicitly about human rights, but if you observe carefully you will see how important the values of human rights are to their motivation, to their approach, and to their persistence in the name of peace!"
former president of Ireland and former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
• "Great Peacemakers is an outstanding collection of pen portraits of people whose lives must inspire future generations."
—Dr. Arun Gandhi
president of the M.K. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence
• "Great Peacemakers is an important contribution to the growing literature on peace rather than war…. We owe it to our children and future generations to offer them different role models—and this book does this through vivid stories about women and men dedicated to making ours a more peaceful and equitable world."
—Dr. Riane Eisler
author of The Chalice and the Blade and The Real Wealth of Nations
• "A truly inspiring book, Great Peacemakers brings to light story after story of how peace is created one person at a time. If you have ever thought you couldn't make a difference in this world, just read this book."M
—Dr. Madelyn Blair
cofounder of The Center for the Study of Peace
• "The biographical sketches in Great Peacemakers tell the remarkable stories of the courageous actions and choices of peacemakers and also how they came to make these choices—how they learned another world is possible. This is must reading for peace educators who hope to empower their students toward global and civic action for peace."
co-director, Peace Education Center at Teachers College, Columbia University and global coordinator, International Institute on Peace Education
• "Great Peacemakers speaks to one of the most fundamental purposes of education: to help students become productive, contributing members of society. School counselors, teachers, and other educators will find this book to be invaluable for helping the youth of today become the responsible adults of tomorrow."
executive director, American School Counselor Association
• "The book is extraordinarily rich in understanding and experience for expanding peace and hope …. We strongly recommend this book for its significant integration of peacemaking ideas and practice."
—The Peace and Justice Studies Association and the OMNI Center for Peace, Justice, and Ecology, upon awarding Great Peacemakers the International Peace Writing award
Below are highlights from reviews that Great Peacemakers has received to date. To help you quickly find the type of reviews that are of most interest to you, they are grouped into four categories: individuals, general interest, education, and faith-based. For the complete reviews, please click the link at the bottom of each section.
• "BEYOND FIVE STARS—Marks Beginning of the Era of Peace …"
—Robert D. Steele, Amazon.com Top 50 Reviewer
• "Five Stars—FINALLY! A book that celebrates PEACE rather than violence! …"
—Stephen Pletko, Amazon.com Top 500 Reviewer(br>
• "Perfect for anyone seeking a positive role model in his or her life …"
—Sonia von Matt Stoddard, Awareness magazine
• "It is almost impossible not to get inspired while reading this book ..."
—Wanda Embar, VeganPeace.com
• "Read this book and prepare to be inspired ..."
—Lillian Brummet, Curled Up With a Good Book, curledup.com
• "A fine addition to any classroom shelf ..."
—IB World (the official magazine of the International Baccalaureate)
• "This is a book that inspires and teaches ..."
—Skipping Stones magazine
• "This accessible volume will mobilize activists of all ages ..."
—Cathi MacRae, Youth Today "the newspaper on youth work"
"We highly recommend Great Peacemakers and hope that it will find its way into religious libraries of all types ..."
—Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat, SpiritualityAndPractice.com
• "[offers] true accounts of human altruism and the ambition to change the world for the better ..."
—Religions for Peace USA
ormat (purchased seperately) which meets academic standards for:
• English language arts
• Social studies
• History (U.S. and World)
• Civics and Government
• Family and Consumer Sciences
• Life Skills
Meets Guidelines for:
• Service Learning
• Character Education
• Multicultural Education
• Experiential Learning
• Envirionmental Education
• Humane Education
• Lesson Plans
• Repreoducible Worksheets
• Answer Keys